Monday, July 14, 2008

About That New Yorker Magazine Cover

Have you seen it? I think the best and fairest treatment of the piece comes from Huffington Post. No surprise that the Huffington gang of liberals is up in arms over the image. I don't like it myself.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/30009/original.jpg

The cover image shows the Obamas as America's worst fears. There is no text on the cover explaining what the image is supposed to mean. The New Yorker's editor, David Remnick claims that the cove is a satirical image of the anti-Obama campaign rhetoric that labels Barack and Michelle as everything the right wing hates.

The cover image alone shows no hint of the intended satire. It shows the Obamas in the worst light possible. I find it tasteless and offensive. It doesn't matter which side of the political fence you are on, the image will most likely elicit a reaction from you.

4 comments:

Amy, aka ABB said...

I find it tasteless and offensive as well. That's not even journalism, and it puts them on a level with my garbage can.

randomx6 said...

I don't find cartoons offensive. I think as a country we have become way too sensitive. THis is a distraction.

I do find both candidates changing their positions on a daily basis offensive. I find Bush/Cheney using 2500 dead people in NY and at the Pentagon to gut the constitution offensive. I find letting Osama go but killing Sadam at the cost of 4000+ American kids deeply offensive.

Cartoons, no.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't bother me - I think it all depends on whose ox is being gored. Political satire has been around forever. Read some of the stuff put out in the 1800's - it'd make your hair curl. Vitriol isn't a new phenomena, far from it. Reverse it and do something like tie Bush up like a marionette with big oil holding the strings - or sit him in a schoolroom corner with a dunce cap. Would that bother you? If not, honestly examine why - then tell me the portrayal of the Obama's crosses the same line.

Dr. Electro said...

It would hit me just about the same to see McCain portrayed the same way. Bush, no. Bush isn't running for election to the highest office in the country. Obama and McCain are.

I'm not happy with smear campaign politics at any time, regardless whose side is being smeared. I know that the concept of straight, honest politics is just a dream but I'm still tired of the mud-slinging.

I've seen many of the political cartoons from the 18th and 19th centuries. I thought most of them were really over the top but fit right in with our revolutionary culture of that time. I just can't help feeling that a political cartoon of that nature is not fitting for an unremarked magazine cover. It gives the wrong impression whether that was intended or not.